Since my Breakfast Cookies were such a success, I tried my luck with a new version. One where I use pumpkin puree to ring in my favorite season of all time. Autumn!
This past weekend, we celebrated the coming of autumn by driving up Big Cottonwood Canyon. I was told that normally, the trees don’t start changing color until later. This year, the leaves were already all shades of different colors and it’s only September! I’ve heard that this means it will be a harsh winter. I really hope not.. >_<
But anyways, back to these cookies.
They were the softest and spongiest cookies I’ve ever made! Not only did they smell of autumn with all the different spices, but they tasted of autumn as well. I even felt healthy eating these since they didn’t have any butter or sugar! I have a feeling I’ll be making these quite often this season.
Pumpkin Oatmeal with Pecan Cookies
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup applesauce (Used the raspberry applesauce that my August Foodie Penpal sent me!)
1 cup uncooked oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup milk (Not shown)
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (Not shown)
2. Mix the pumpkin puree, applesauce, milk, honey, molasses, and vanilla extract until combined.
3. Next, add the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
4. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes so that the oats become hydrated.
5. Now add your pecans or any other additions of your choice.
6. Scoop about a tablespoon worth of dough onto the cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork or with your fingers.
7. Bake for about 11-13 minutes. Mine had to bake for exactly 12 minutes. Allow to cool completely before storing.
I couldn’t help eating two cookies straight out of the oven. They smelled so divine! I baked these on Friday and they only lasted two whole days. I definitely have to make these again. And soon!