The holiday season always makes me miss family. When I do, I tend to make some childhood comforts. These recipes always bring back memories. What better way to end the year, then with fond memories to reminisce on.
This “recipe” was always a childhood favorite of mine. It’s still a favorite to this day. It might even be the reason for my ongoing obsession with sweetened condensed milk!
Sweetened Condensed Milk with Saltine Crackers
1 1/2 to 2 cups of hot water
2 to 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (My favorite brand, Longevity Brand)
10 to 20 saltine crackers, salted or unsalted (Although from personal experience, salted are better)
1. Heat the water in a small pot on high heat until boiling.
2. Place the water into a heat proof bowl and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk according to your tastes.
3. Stir until the sweetened condensed milk has melted and is diluted.
4. Add 2 to 3 saltine crackers at a time into the bowl and wait until each has soaked in the sweetened condensed milk mixture before eating.
5. If needed, add more hot water and sweetened condensed milk.
You can see above that the lower saltine cracker is starting to puff up while the higher saltine cracker is still at its regular size. How fast the saltine crackers expand depends on the temperature of the diluted sweetened condensed milk, the hotter the faster. In my experience, drinking the last drops of the diluted sweetened condensed milk along with all the bits and pieces of the leftover saltine crackers is the best part!
I hope one day I’ll have the chance to pass this recipe along and that my kid(s) will also think back and reminisce with this childhood comfort of ours.