Sadly, I didn’t get to take many pictures (nor very good ones either as you can see below) before it was devoured!
This recipe was quite simple to make and is easily a one pan recipe. Originally, I had wanted to make this in my rice cooker, but could not as my rice cooker is way too small. (It’s only a 3 cups maximum rice cooker.)
Oh! And I love the crunchy rice that was at the bottom of the pan! ^_^
Steamed Chicken and Mushroom Rice (冬菇蒸雞飯)
1. Place the dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of warm water and let them soak until they are soft, approximately 20 minutes. When soft, remove the mushrooms from the water, squeeze away the excess water, trim the stems, and cut the mushrooms in half. Discard the water from the bowl and combine the soy sauce, sugar, oil and corn starch and mix into a slurry. Add the mushrooms and allow to marinade for about 20 minutes.
2. Combine the soy sauces, rice wine, sugar and corn starch in another bowl and mix into a slurry. Add the chicken and marinade for about 20 minutes.
3. In a third bowl, clean and rinse the rice until the water is clear. Place the rice with about 80% of the water normally used to cook the rice into a large pan. Cook on high heat with the cover slightly open to allow steam to escape for about 20 minutes. The rice should be almost done at this point.
4. Add the chicken with its marinade as well as the mushroom with its marinade on top of the rice. Do not mix. Cook for an additional 20 to 25 minutes on high heat with the cover on until the rice and chicken are done cooking.
5. Serve in a bowl or on a plate.