It’s definitely been a while. 2014 has come and gone and I’m only just feeling that 2015 has arrived!
This year, I spent New Year’s Eve at home with Mr. Munchimuch, Little Munchimunch, and our friends. We watched Gremlins 1 and 2 while munching on bacon wrapped olives and popcorn and toasted the new year with some bubbly (non-alcoholic for me). It was just what we all needed. =) How did you spend your New Year’s?
Personal life events kept me so busy this past year and caused me to neglect this little blog of mine. =( But I do have a bit more free time (for the next few months at least) and hope to post regularly again!
For now though, I’ll leave you with this quick recipe I tweaked using a recipe for candied walnuts that my friend Yvo from Feisty Foodie sent my way. I made about 4-5 batches of these to give out during Christmas and they were a hit!
Vanilla Candied Nuts
1 cup of nuts of your choosing (I used pecans, but also tried walnuts and almonds.)
2 ½ tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of butter
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
dash of salt (optional)
1. In a small saucepan, heat the butter and sugar over medium heat until melted. Make sure to stir frequently so the mixture does not burn.
2. When the sugar mixture has melted, add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
3. Add the nuts and stir until the nuts are evenly coated in the sugar mixture.
4. Once the nuts are evenly coated, transfer to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and quickly separate. (Optional: At this point, I sprinkled some salt over for a sweet and salty combination.)
5. Allow to cool completely before transferring to a container of your choice.
I couldn’t help and steal a handful (or two) while separating the nuts. These are great as a sweet topping for cereal, yogurt, ice cream, or salad…pretty much anything! While these candied nuts will store for a few days in an airtight container, they definitely didn’t last that long for me. =)