Like my first batch of caramels, Butter Caramels with Sea Salt, making these Inside Out Apple Flavored Caramel Apples was such a breeze! The hardest part for me was scooping out the apple flesh evenly to make sure there was enough room for the caramel. That part I did not enjoy.
I browsed through a few recipes to get the gist of how to make these inside out caramel apples and used my Butter Caramels with Sea Salt recipe. I substituted the water with apple juice for a slight hint of apple in the caramel. Mr. Munchimunch doubly enjoyed these caramel apples and has been requesting I make these again soon!
Inside Out Apple Flavored Caramel Apples
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (My favorite brand, Longevity Brand)
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup apple juice
1 cup granulated (white) sugar
1/4 cup of softened butter, cut into small pieces
4 medium sized apples (I used Golden Delicious apples)
sea salt flakes for sprinkling
1. Line the bottom of a 9″ x 9″ pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large and deep saucepan, add the corn syrup, water, and sugar. Stir on high heat until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Lower the temperature to medium and add the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Be prepared as the mixture may bubble over if the saucepan is not deep enough.
4. Stir until the heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, and butter are well incorporated into the sugar water.
4. Continue cooking the caramel without stirring.
5. While the caramel is cooking, cut each apple in half. Carefully remove the inside of the apples with a melon baller or a spoon and leave about 1/4″ of apple left intact with the skin.
6. When the caramel turns into a deep amber, remove the caramel from the heat and spoon into each apple half until just filled. Pour the remaining caramel into your prepared pan. Do not scrape the caramel from the sides or bottom of the pan.
7. Cool for about 30 minutes before sprinkling some sea salt flakes on top of each apple half and on top of the caramel pan.
8. Allow to the caramel to cool completely before cutting each apple half into several slices and cutting the pan of caramel into 1″ squares.
9. Wrap each piece of caramel in parchment and store in an air tight container for up to two weeks. Eat the inside out caramel apples immediately!
Even though my Inside Out Apple Flavored Caramel Apples do not look pretty, they sure taste better than they look. I’d have to say that my February theme of caramel has been quite the success just like my January theme of bark! ^_^
Check out my other Recipe Bucket List recipes here!