Since I made sweet Blackberry Yogurt Scones for my last Recipe Bucket List, I chose to make savory scones this time around. I knew I definitely wanted cheese. And it wasn’t until I was having an avocado for a snack that I thought to add avocado in on the mix.
I wasn’t sure if the combination would work, but it did!
Avocado and Cheese Scones
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar (white)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup of cold milk
3/4 cup avocado, diced
3/4 cup of cheese, diced (I used Danish Fontina)
1 egg yolk
1. Preheat the oven until 400 degrees F and grease your cookie sheet
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
3. Add the butter, avocado, and cheese into the flour mixture and cut together in a food processor or with a pastry cutter until the butter, avocado, and cheese have been reduced to small pieces.
4. Add the cold milk until just incorporated. The mixture should be crumbly. Do not over mix.
5. Flour your hands and place the mixture on a floured surface. Roughly shape into a round disk about 6″ round and 2″ tall.
6. Cut into 8 pieces like a pizza pie or use some cookie cutters for different shapes.
7. Place each piece onto the cookie sheet and brush with the egg yolk.
8. Bake for about 13-16 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Allow the scones to cool completely on a cooling rack.
I can’t decide which scones I like better! My Blackberry Yogurt Scones or these Avocado and Cheese Scones. Both are delicious in their own way and I can’t wait to try more combinations!
Check out my other Recipe Bucket List recipes here!